Saturday, October 3, 2009

Arctic Monkeys Extravaganza


Arctic Monkeys are an alternative rock band based out of Sheffield, England. The band consists of Alex Turner (lead vocals, guitar), Jamie Cook (guitar) , Nick O' Malley (bass guitar, backing vocals) and Matt Helders ( backing vocals, drums). I had heard about them from a friend and have listened to them for about a year and a half now but as soon as I found out about them coming to Toronto, I bought the tickets right away.

I'm 20 years old and have only been to two concerts in my life. Embarrassing and sad I know but they both have been great experiences and make me want to go to more and more. On September 29th 2009 I went to my first rock concert. They performed at a small venue called Kool Haus which is part of the Guverment Entertainment Complex in Downtown Toronto.

I got inside the venue and got a perfect spot right near the stage where I was able to see everything perfectly. An all girl band called "The Like." opened up for them. I've never heard of them before, but every song they played sounded almost identical to the one before, as catchy as the songs were I wasn't feeling it. Along with not enjoying the music each member of the group looked like they needed to take a one hour bath. Maybe life on tour was hard for "The Like"?

After 2 hours at the venue and waiting for Arctic Monkeys to come on they finally did and the crowd went insane. Right when they went up the stairs to come on the stage the crowd rushed to get closer to the stage, in the process because of these people I almost went face first into a steel banister. I'm sure you all know the banisters are used to guard people, but with the luck I have it could also be used as a perfect object to get a concussion. They sounded amazing live, and sounded almost identical to their albums which I wasn't expecting to happen. I was happy my first concert was with a band that actually had musical talent and wasn't lypsyncing or getting drunk on stage. Well, the lead singer was pretty drunk but that didn't effect his performance at all surprisingly. Alex Turner you really do have a god given talent.

As alot of people probably know concerts are very unpredictable and this concert was no exception. Someone in the crowd decided to rush the stage while they were performing, as they did the security guards caught him but he was still struggling to break free. As they were restraining him he managed to throw his demo cd's at them, and also pushed over the huge amps that were needed for the guitars.
The band just laughed it off and continued performing for the fans.

The only thing I regret doing from that night is not buying a crazy overpriced band t-shirt that I was willing to buy but got fed up cause the line was too long but besides that it was a great concert.




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment